Videogame Software Engineer
Position Type: Contract 12+Mos
Location: McKinney, TX (currently 100% remote)
BALANCED is seeking qualified Videogame Software Engineers to help develop highly innovative hybrids of videogames with integrated health science research. BALANCED Media|Technology, through their mission to bring positive purpose to play is developing a pioneering entertainment experiences that push the bounds of what games are capable of achieving.
A Videogame Software Engineer wears many hats and tackles a wide range of assignments, such as UI implementation, pipeline and tools development, backend infrastructure integration, artificial intelligence, special effects, and 3rd party tech integrations. They are also responsible for the management, design, and implementation of game systems that function within the context the larger game loop.
- Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or related degree, or equivalent work experience or certification
- 2+ years experience delivering production-level code in a professional environment
Game industry development experience in a related role
- Experience in at least one modern game development engine: Unity, Unreal, Lumberyard, etc…
- Ability to analyze performance and optimize code
- Self-motivation and willingness to pitch in on many areas of game development
- Ability to communicate effectively with artists, designers, and other engineers
- Write robust, well documented, and maintainable code
- Identify and communicate technical requirements and risks for new features and systems
- Translate requests from design into tasks. Estimate, track and manage those tasks
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and be self-directed but maintain clear communication with other teammates and management
- Collaborate across multiple disciplines to shepherd features from initial concept to completion
- Utilize a variety of programming languages, platforms, frameworks, and APIs to achieve robust results
- Implement features in existing gameplay systems while also expanding the feature sets in those systems
- Proactively identify technical risks and provide solutions to ensure success of new features and systems.
- Implement the User Interface that ties the player to the behaviors in the game
- Work to improve performance, robustness, and reuse of code to ensure product stability
- Implement various client-side features, such as shaders, font and localization systems, audio support, and network communication
- Receives and provides objective and constructive feedback and suggestions
Preferred Qualifications (Bonus Points)
- Previous Unity Engine development
- XCode, Visual Studio, and/or Visual Studio Code
- Experience coding with databases
- Understanding of the full life cycle of software development
- Familiarity with modern source control system: Git, Perforce, Microsoft TFS, etc…
- Shipped multiple successful game products into the marketplace
Who We Are
BALANCED Media | Technology is a crowdsourced healthcare artificial intelligence company bringing purpose to play. BALANCED is focused on changing the way researchers, pharmaceutical and medical device companies leverage machine learning to advance the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. BALANCED, a 2019 Tech Titan winner that has been recognized as an industry innovator by multiple groups including the Dallas Business Journal and Dallas Innovates, is also creating the 8 CELL video game that aids in medical/health education and research. The McKinney, Texas based company is headed by founders in data science, computing, video game development and the medical/healthcare industries.